Friday, September 23, 2011

The Wonderous Leafy Greens

Growing up, our parents always told us to eat our greens.  Sometimes we listened and gobbled them down, and other times we wondered why our parents were choosing to torture us with food.  Some of the healthiest leafy greens are not always the most appealing in flavor.  So even as we have gotten older and learned that there was more behind these greens then just the color, we can still have some trouble incorporating them into our diet. 
 Dark, leafy greens, such as kale, collard greens, bok choy and spinach, offer an array of benefits.  They all have high levels of calcium and magnesium (yes, we can get calcium from non-dairy items), fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins such as vitamin C and beta carotene.  They also help lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and help to protect the immune system.  These greens are also fairly cheap, and pretty easy to prepare. 
So how can we eat these magical foods if we, or our loved ones, don't like the taste or texture of these leafy greens??
I was put to this test when I began cooking dinner for two.  Personally, I have always loved my vegetables; the more greens the better.  So I was shocked (and a bit nervous) to hear that Tim didn't share the same feelings.  What was I going to cook?? Not being a meat eater, vegetables are really all that I know.  But more importantly, WHERE WAS HE GOING TO GET HIS VITAMINS AND MINERALS???
So I began to get creative. 
I knew he enjoyed eating salad, so I began to chop up kale very finely and added it in along with romaine lettuce.  He couldn't tell.  In our pasta dishes, I added finely chopped spinach into the red sauce along with basil.  He didn't notice it.  In soup, I began adding chopped up bok choy along with the celery.  Same story.  As long as Tim didn't know the vegetable was there, he was fine eating it.  Brilliant!
Tim has since caught on to my scheme, but he is ok with it.  Now that he understands how important these kinds of greens are for his overall health, he appreciates that I go the extra step to make sure he is getting some kind of exposure to them.
So get creative!  And if you are fine with the taste of these leafy greens, even better.  Start incorporating them into your meals to give yourself the vitamins, minerals, and strength that your body needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment