Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Real food in your dog bowl

My boyfriend Tim and I just recently adopted a pup that was abandoned in upstate NY.  His name is Dodger City, and he is truly amazing.  Standing tall at a year and a half, there are many things that Tim and I needed, and still need to learn, to give this puppy a happy, loving and stable home.  My biggest concern... What am I going to feed him??

I have heard so many horror stories about dog foods containing all kinds of toxic ingredients, cancer causing agents, and items that are just not meant to be eaten by dogs, the idea of choosing the right dog food was a stress factor.  So I did what any person SHOULD do when purchasing foods; I read the ingredients.  WHOA!! 

The list began with some semi-familiar, but sketchy ingredients; chicken by-products, corn meal, soy flour, mineral oil, corn gluten... and the list goes on.  But then I kept reading.  Glandular meal, ethoxyquin, bone phosphate, corn syrup, blood meal, BHA, and many other ingredients that I could either not pronounce or that I was horrified by.  Of course, there are the more "upscale" dogfoods available at most health food stores, but those could run you $40 per bag.  So I began to do some research.

There are many foods suitable and nutritious for dogs that we keep in the fridge for ourselves.  Such foods include:
-melons (watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew)
-peanut butter
-berries (fresh or frozen)
-cooked chicken
-apples and bananas
-veggies (carrots, string beans, peas)
-eggs (cooked)
-oatmeal

How exciting?? All of these choices that are fairly quick, pretty easy, and I know what they are!! I was instantly relieved, and began trying all of my options on Mr Dodger City.  Thankfully, he enjoys them all... I think he actually sees them as a treat. 

We purchase Organix Adult Dog Food from our local health food store as his staple meal, and we will even dump a jar of baby food on top to give it some flavor (and some vitamins).  He is definitely a happy, healthy, and energetic pup.

**Be careful to research any foods not listed here.  There are some foods that are toxic to dogs, and could poison and kill them.  Please view this website for a list of harmful foods:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030

No comments:

Post a Comment